Hello everybody, it seems like it has been a long time since I have written on the blog. This summer has flown by like non-other. I am already 3 months into my internship and have a month left. The last Friday of this month is the official last day of the internship. I have talked to them about staying on past the internship part-time but they are not sure yet. It depends if we get any of the up coming jobs we are looking at. From what I can tell they would like me to stay but, just depends. I have been working on a few different projects since the last time. I have been working on and off putting a budget together for the Honduras Temple. Basically, I went through the plans and made sure we had everything covered and calculated quantities, i.e. types of flooring and how many square foot there are of each type. After I did that I met with a senior estimator and we put some numbers to my quantities to give the church a good idea of how much it may cost and where we could save money. We then had a preliminary meeting were we presented the budget to the church. It was an awesome experience.
After working on that I starting work on a UTA (Utah Transit Authority) project. We were gutting an old ZCMI warehouse and turning it into a Trax (light rail) service center. It was a hard bid against a few other General Contractors. We were not the low contractor so we did not get the job. At first we were disappointed because we had dedicated 3-4 weeks of work to this project and did not win, however; in the end we were somewhat glad we did not get the job because there was a lot of politics and red tape involved. That ended about a week and a half ago so now I am back working on the massive City Creek project.
Pi'ikea is doing well. The past two months she has been studying and working hard for school. Two weeks ago she took a test to get licensed to practice massage therapy. She past that test. Then this past week she had her last set of finals for regular school and passed with flying colors. She is finishing school with a 4.0 GPA and will be graduating this Thursday night. She is very very excited to move to the next chapter which is Master Bodyworker. This is another 10 weeks of school, which she started today, that goes into greater depth on specific types of massages she is already familiar with and also introduces new types, like Stone massage. She is quite nervous about the school because it is suppose to be more difficult than the first year. She is attending with some friends so she will be able to study with them which helps. Another nice thing about this school is that it is in downtown Salt Lake from 9am to 5:30pm. So, instead of me coming home from work and seeing Pi'ikea for maybe half an hour and then have her leave for school, we get to drive together. I drop her off an hour before school starts and then I go to work. She will still have to work a few nights a week but, it is much better than before.
Speaking of her work, she was transferred back to her old position from which she was laid-off. They realized it was a mistake to let her go and they hired her back on for a few months so they could get caught up on paper work. Ever since she was laid-off the paper in that department just continued to pile-up because there were not enough people. Hopefully she will be able to help them.
Also Pi'ikea now has a website up for her private practice she plans to start up. I'll let her explain all of that though. For the mean time here is the website. Copy and paste the address.
http://makanamassage.yolasite.com/
Hope all are doing well, we love you and will talk to you later.
Stay Watchful
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment