Happy Brthday

January
10 - Kim
23 - Kaylee
30 - Lilah


Friday, March 9, 2012

The End of Summer?

From what I understand we have had a very mild summer, almost not a summer at all. It is now fall and there is no difference at all. I was told today that if England has a mild summer, the rest of the world will have a mild summer, if the winter is bad in England then the rest of the world will have a bad winter, I guess England still rules the world in somethings.
After seven months here, I definitely needed to do some mending, so I borrowed this machine from our friend Lorrine Ditchburn. It was her mother's and I was thrilled to see that it was a Bernina. I have no idea if it is older then my machine or newer, but it basically worked the same as mine so the mending went pretty fast. After the sewing, I cut out about 35 chemo bags for a cancer center in Wellington. Basically it is a long strap attached to a bag that is lined in plastic. I don't sew them I just cut them out.
On the 9th we left for Hamilton. The Overtons and Dad and I where able to go Hamilton to the Temple. It was a great trip. We stopped at Lake Tuapo to have lunch. It is one of the first large lake we have seen in New Zealand where people were actually on the lake. There were people waterskiing, boating, para sailing and on jet skis. After lunch we drove to Huka Falls. It was really not that kind of falls we are use to, water falling from a high mountain, it was a gradual slope, but water rushing down very fast and very loud coming from Lake Tuapo. Dad has lots of pictures so they will be on the mission blog.
The Temple was beautiful. It was built in the late 50's by service missionaries. The only problem with the temple that was built so long ago, is that it does not meet the earthquake standard of today. So the church has to try and reinforce it, they have until 2016 to do it, and they want to do that without tearing it down. I am sure that they will figure it all out.
We were able to stay in Temple housing for the two nights we were there. The housing is probably about 40 years old, but the price was right, had a little kitchen so we didn't have to eat out, and it was right next door to the temple. They are planning on redoing the apartments. When we were there, there were tons of tile waiting to be put in.
Right next to the temple was a large farm. We drove around to see the Hamilton and realized the farm is one owned by the church. I don't know if you can read the sign, but it says, Templeview Farms. The Temple is located in the most beautiful country setting. Very few homes and mostly farms and cows.
On Valentines Day we woke up to cloudy and raining weather, but when we went outside there were hearts everywhere. We received a "Heart Attack". Hearts all over the car, two roses on the wind shield and balloons and hearts on our staircase. It was great! Not sure who did it, but we think the Young Single Adults. We drove around for two days with the hearts on the car, but with the rain, we had to take them off.
This is Fiona Clark, our wonderful, or should I use the NZ word lovely girl that helps us in the Archives. She gets us all the boxes full of probates to film, gets us the listings that we work from, and generally has all of the answers for missing documents and numbers. She also teaches English Literature at Mount Victoria College.
Roy Ditchburn called us and let us know that the brand new Queen Elizabeth Cruise ship was in port. After work we followed it out of Wellington Harbour. It was big and beautiful.

Fiona brought us a few boxes or really old document, one was this map attached to a will. I think it was covered in a waxy coating at one time, but it had worn off and the fabric was visable in places. I am standing on my toes to see over the top. Of course the will belonged to a sheepfarmer.
Just a few notes, I have never cooked so much in my whole life. We feed about 4 Elders a week, and sometimes more, we have the Young Singles over for dinner, and also the older singles, Family Home Evening once a week, treats. I made enchilada casserole last week for the elders. I don't think the Elders from the islands are use to having "casseroles," but they must have liked it because they ate everything, like elders do. We had a weather "bomb" drop in on all of New Zealand last weekend. Not exactly sure what the means, except it was cold, rainy and windy for two days. Here the weather is refered to as "wet or fine," probably because if it is not rainy they consider it good weather.

No comments: